Summer Student Device Info
DO I GET TO TAKE MY CHROMEBOOK HOME FOR THE SUMMER?
Yes, unless you:
- might be moving to another school district over the summer
- are currently in check in/check out
- have unpaid chromebook repair fines
- prefer not to take your chromebook home for the summer
- have a damaged chromebook and it needs to be repaired over the summer
SUMMER DOS AND DON'TS:
- Please don’t leave your chromebook in a vehicle, even while at home. Vehicle thefts are very common.
- If your Chromebook is lost or stolen over the summer, you must file a police report and inform the tech department at 673-6010 ext. 286. Please refer to the current High School and Junior High Student Acceptable Use Policy for information about what to do if a chromebook is lost or stolen.
- Keep your chromebook in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight.
- Do not leave your Chromebook in a hot car or outside in the heat, sun, or rain. Be careful if you are using it near water.
- If a key pops off, don't pick off the rubber nub that's underneath the key and make sure you don’t bend the metal brackets, either. We can replace the key as long as the rubber nub and metal brackets are not damaged.
- Remember that your chromebook, charger, and bag are school property and should not be misused or abused in any way. Having these devices to use year-round is a privilege so please respect that. Take good care of your device and use it appropriately both during the school year and over the summer.
I’M MOVING OR I THINK I MIGHT BE MOVING. WHEN SHOULD I TURN IN MY CHROMEBOOK?If you already know you will not be attending school here next year, or if you think you might be moving out of the district over the summer, please turn in your chromebook, charger, and bag after your last class is over. If you end up not moving, we will give you back your chromebook when you pay your chromebook insurance in August.
I DIDN’T KNOW I WAS MOVING THIS SUMMER. WHAT DO I DO WITH MY CHROMEBOOK?If your family decides to move to a new district over the summer, please return your Chromebook, bag, and charger to:
Webb City School District Central Office Monday-Thursday between 9:00am and 2:00pm.
Central Office is located directly south of Webb City High School at 411 N. Madison St. Webb City, MO 64870.
Please make sure the chromebook charger and the strap are also in the bag. If these items are missing or if the chromebook and/or the bag has damage, you will be expected to pay the appropriate fees for either the repair or the replacement part.
If you leave the Webb City R7 School District without turning in your school issued device, we will report it as stolen to the local police department.
I DON’T WANT TO TAKE MY CHROMEBOOK HOME THIS SUMMER OR MY PARENTS DON’T WANT ME TO TAKE IT HOME. WHAT DO I DO WITH MY CHROMEBOOK?If you would like to leave your Chromebook at school over the summer instead of taking it home, or your parents don’t want you to take it home for the summer, feel free to drop it off at the Library after you finish your last Summative or Final. Please make sure your ID card is in the bag and you might want to put your charger in the bag so you don’t lose it over the summer. You can pick up your chromebook in August after you turn in your AUP and pay your chromebook insurance for the next school year. Please make sure you ask for your chromebook the same day you turn in your aup/insurance, as we will not call you down to pick it up if you forget.
MY CHROMEBOOK NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED. CAN YOU FIX IT OVER THE SUMMER?Yes. If your chromebook is damaged, please drop it off at the HelpDesk before you leave for the summer. Please be sure to fill out the summer repair paper so we know what to look for when we are ready to repair it. Please note that if you drop off your chromebook in May for repairs, you will not get it back until August. We will try our best to get it repaired before the insurance collection day in August, but this is not guaranteed. When the repair is done, you will receive an email to your school account or to a personal email account you provide that will let you know if you owe any money for the repair and when you can pick up your device. You will need to pay for any chargeable repairs when you pick up your device. Common issues that would need to be fixed over the summer are: missing or loose keys, broken screen, broken zipper or strap clip on bag, display issues, etc.
WILL MY CHROMEBOOK BE MONITORED OVER THE SUMMER?Yes, your Chromebook WILL be monitored over the summer just as it is during the school year. If any flagged activity in violation of the High School and Junior High Student Acceptable Use Policy is detected, you will be put into restricted access and/or your account will be disabled for the rest of the summer, depending upon the severity of the violation. Please be prepared to have a conversation about the violation with one of the Principals when you return to school in August. If you are placed in Restricted Access, you will need a principal’s permission to be taken out.
WHAT IF MY CHROMEBOOK BREAKS OR HAS OTHER ISSUES OVER THE SUMMER?The tech department will not be accepting damaged chromebooks over the summer. If you damage your Chromebook or if it becomes inoperable over the summer, please shut it down, put it in a safe place for the rest of the summer and then bring it with you when you pay your chromebook insurance in August. Please be aware that all student google accounts will be deactivated on August 1 and this is a normal occurrence.
The date for Grades 10-12 Schedule Pickup, Locker Assignments, and 2018-19 Chromebook Insurance Payments will be:
Monday, August 6, 2018
- Seniors 8:30 am
- Juniors 10:00 am
- Sophomores 1:30 pm
We will be set up in the commons area by the Main Office.
If you have a damaged device, you can drop it off on August 6 and we will try our best to get it repaired before school starts on August 15. However, this is not guaranteed as the beginning of school is a very busy time for the tech department. When the repair is done, you will receive an email to your school account or to a personal email account you provide that will let you know if you owe any money for the repair and when you can pick up your device. If school has already started, you will be contacted by the HelpDesk during school hours. You will need to pay for any chargeable repairs when you pick up your chromebook.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN SCHOOL STARTS IN AUGUST:
GOOGLE ACCOUNTS FOR GRADES 10-12 WILL BE DISABLED ON AUGUST 1We will be disabling all 10-12th grade student google accounts on August 1. Your google account will be enabled after you have:1) turned in the current AUP (signed by both you and your parent/guardian)2) paid insurance for the 2018-19 school year (take home) or opted-out of insurance (school use only)
AP STUDENTS:If you are enrolled in an AP class and have summer homework, your account will be reactivated as soon as possible after the mass student google account disable occurs. Please be aware that your account might be disabled for a few hours to one full day, depending on what time the disable takes effect. Also, you will still have to turn in your aup/insurance in a timely manner or your account will be deactivated again a couple days after school starts.
2018-19 AUP AND CHROMEBOOK INSURANCEThe first page of the 2018-19 AUP / Insurance Agreement that you need to sign will be mailed to your home over the summer. (late July/early August) It will also be available at the High School’s Front Office starting Wednesday, July 25. The entire 2018-19 HS & JH Student AUP / Insurance Agreement will be available to view on the High School’s website in the next few weeks.Please fill out the first page of the updated 2018-19 HS & JH STUDENT ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY & INSURANCE AGREEMENT. Both you and your parent / guardian need to sign it, then bring the signed AUP and the $15 cash/check with you on your AUP/Insurance Collection day in August. If paying by check, please make the check out to Webb City High School.Please note that high school students will need to turn in their AUP and insurance money to the high school and junior high students will need to turn in their AUP and insurance money to the junior high. We cannot accept each other’s aup/insurance. If you have multiple students at the high school, you may write one check for all, but please write all the student’s names on the check or on the envelope so they get credited for their insurance payment.
Please make sure:
- your parent/guardian has filled out and signed their part of the AUP.
- YOU have filled out and signed your part of the AUP.
- your parent/guardian has given permission for you to use the school's technology by checking the correct box on the AUP. This permission includes the use of our lab computers, iPads, student Google accounts, etc. as well as the chromebooks.
- you have the $15 insurance payment with you if you plan to take your chromebook home. (cash or check only, please)
All enrolled students must turn in a signed AUP for the current school year before they can use any of the school district’s technology. Last year’s AUP will not work for the 2018-19 school year.